Monday, March 11, 2013

Blog Post #2: Design

I wanted my blog to have a simple theme because I like having a clean, uncluttered look for something like this that won't distract the reader from the whole point of a blog--the writing.  There are birds in the upper right-hand corner, but in general everything is very simply laid out.  Establish a Mood with Typography advises using simple fonts for ease of reading, so I chose ones without any fancy style or ones without any chance of illegibility.  The font for the blog title is Old Standard TT, which I thought was cute and had a little more personality than the font I used for the blog posts themselves, and because it's only the title it doesn't overwhelm the reader.  Lastly, I added some of my favorite colors to keep some personal touches and to stand out from the neutral background, yet still keeping with a simple, clean feeling.

Color Psychology suggests that warm-toned colors can cause people to feel warmth and comfort, which I think is important if you want your writing to be received well.  This article does point out that warm tones can cause feelings of anger or hostility, so I chose a more neutral warm color (tan) rather than a loud red in order to prevent this.  I did decide to use cool tones for the font, as the article also says that cool-toned colors can be perceived as calming, and perhaps the reader will feel calm reading my blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment